There are three general types of cover letters:
- Used when applying for an advertised job opening
- Used when applying or inquiring about potential positions
- Used when introducing yourself and requesting information as you continue with your job search
Application Cover Letter:
When writing the Application Cover Letter, the body of the letter should let the employer know the position for which you are applying and why the employer should consider you further.
- First Paragraph – The first paragraph of your letter should include information on why you are writing. Mention the position for which you are applying and perhaps a brief line as to why you are the best candidate for the position.
- Middle Paragraph(s) – The next section of your cover letter should describe what relevant attributes and skills you have to offer. Mention specifically how your qualifications match the job for which you are applying. Remember, this letter enhances your resume, it does not repeat it.
- Final Paragraph – Conclude your cover letter by thanking the employer for considering you for the position and that you look forward to a further opportunity to discuss the position. Make sure that your cover letter and/or resume include your contact information.
- Complimentary Close – End the letter with a respectful, professional salutation, ie. Respectfully yours, Sincerely yours, etc.
Remember, the cover letter is the first point of contact with your prospective employer, so make sure that it is professionally written, and really lets the organization know why you are the right fit for the job.